Saturday, July 5, 2008

Touché, France...Touché

Quentin Delafon (second to right) and The Teenagers

Why Is Quentin Delafon so awesome? Why am I more than a little obsessed with him? Is it because his song "Homecoming" contains the lyrics:

“Last week, I flew to San Diego to see my Aunt
On day one, I met her hot step-daugher
She’s a cheerleader, she’s a virgin, and she’s really tan”?

Maybe not , but the more I think about it, probably. Delafon is the awesomely thin-mustached, slightly-creepy-slightly-sexy, always-almost-smiling frontman of a band called, "The Teenagers," a spoken-word trio whose lyrics seem to poke fun at American pop culture. The more I listen to them, the more I realize I have been searching for a band like this my entire life. Sub-consciously, I think a certain part of me has always been in need of a little Eurosleaze and synthesizers.

The Teenagers, ostensibly, are from France. They speak in heavy French accents and most of their songs are like watching an ironic, more vulgar, Euro version of the movie "Clueless." "Homecoming" talks about a summer fling in which relations are had between Delafon's character and his sexy step-cousin ("or whatever, who cares"), and the song "No Love" lionizes girlfriends who worry too much about their boyfriends' greasy pizza-eating habits and too much time spent in front of the computer (I have no idea what "lionizes" means. I really hope it works in this context).

So why the obsession? Well, if you read the previous paragraph and said to yourself, "That sounds pretty stupid," you probably won't understand. But if you read the previous paragraph and said, "That sounds fucking awesome," you probably will.

The Teenagers talk about exactly the stuff that I would find hilarious with American culture were I from a place like France: "massive" SUV's, cheerleaders, and "sexy rocker attitudes."
But the reason I became obsessed with Quentin Delafon in 7 minutes after doing some googling and preliminary internet research is because he doesn't just talk the way he talks in his music videos; he also talks that way in real life. While in Australia for example, he excitedly told one interviewer he hoped the girls would find him, "Super-exotic." Then later he said, "If we're on tour, and I feel like I'm becoming bored, I always tell myself: 'Shut up! This is super-cool!"

Delafon has it right: It is "super-cool" to be touring in Australia, and he should be having fun, which is exactly what he appears to be doing in all of his videos. This shows me that he is genuine, even if completely ridiculous. After all, "completely ridiculous" is always excusable and actually in most cases favorable, but fakeness is not.

And Quentin Delafon is not fake. He just has a mustache.

No comments: