Thursday, July 26, 2007

Drop it like it's tibid

I am having a quarter-life crisis. I have these about once every two weeks. I am having this one because I realized, walking back from the gym today, that if I was to view my current life situation positively I would be: “A college graduate with unlimited potential.” However, viewed negatively I could be: “A pudgy cripple with a bad haircut.” So it's time to decide: is the glass half-empty or half-full? (see footnote) I like to think that I think the glass is half-full, mostly because I can’t imagine that anyone would look at a glass half-filled with liquid and put emphasis not on the liquid, but rather on the empty space surrounding it. Does this make me an optimist? Not at all. Nor would looking at the glass as half-empty make you a pessimist. But it might make you a schizophrenic.
The weather this last weekend in Vancouer, BC was proof that God has temporarily forgotten about the Pacific Northwest. Instead he has focused on more God-fearing areas like the Bible Belt and the Midwest, where they are bathing in sun and enjoying temperatures that make Seattle look like an walk-in freezer. It might also have something to do with the hippies. For my last essay as a college student I wrote about my disdain for hippies, a disdain that becomes more deeply rooted in blind hatred with every passing day. The paradox is that I, by some standards, am embracing traditional “hippie” values with more gusto as the summer days pass. By traditional “hippie” values I do not mean sniffing one another’s armpits while playing in drum circles. This is what hippies actually do. I’m talking about the ideals that hippies claim to embrace, things like, but not limited to, not being that stoked on technology. For example, why is everyone and their brother completely wet for the iPhone? If one has an iPhone, where do that person’s priorities lie? I don’t want to be too abstract or profane, but I think their priorities might lie in some kind of underground, group-masturbation cult captained by Steve Jobs. Anyway call me a hippie but iPhones and iPods are not that tight. They kind of suck. I wish I had an iPod. I have to pee hella bad. Shout out to Bunktown and his new publication: bunktown.blogspot.com

Footnote: I find it interesting to note here that in the whole “Glass half-empty/ half-full” equation the contents of the glass are rarely brought into question. For instance, if the glass is filled with say, an “Adios Motherfucker” (Wednesdays) from Earl’s, then it is definitely half-full, half-poisonous, and you are definitely completely -fucked. However, if the glass is filled with some sort of delicious fruity concoction like a strawberry-mango smoothie then it is definitely half-empty and you are definitely half-bummed.

Hate of the Day: Desolation Sound

Like of the Day: Urban gathering areas

Song of the Day: Crazy by Willie Nelson

No comments: