Friday, December 14, 2007

Hell Week

Hell Week. Or as Neil calls it, “Hella Weak.” This is what I have dubbed the following week of my travels, which will probably start sometime Saturday night when I board a bus for the 12 hour journey to Cuenca, a city in the south of Ecuador. The goal of Hell Week is simple: To get as far as I possibly can, spending as little money as I can, in one week. If you're currently in Peru you might see in a few days a little kid on the streets, covered in grime and holding out his hand for a piece of bread. Look closer, however, and you’ll see that it’s not a street urchin but actually a 24 year-old gringo, and the “grime” is merely a case of unfortunate facial hair. You should give it some bread though. It's hungry.
So as you can see, I will be effectively “skipping” a large portion of land aka Ecuador and Peru, which might prompt some of you to ask yourselves, or assuming you are insane, have a conversation with yourself that sounds something like this: “What an idiot. Why is he doing that? That sounds awful. Doesn’t he want to enjoy his travels? There are so many beautiful things to do in Peru and Ecuador, he’s really going to regret having missed out on them. If you want my opinion, he’s a damn fool.” Whoa...let's back up a second. Damn fool? Isn't that a bit harsh? You are pretty opinionated for someone that is currently sitting at a computer, reading a "Blog." Assholes.
Anyway, I maybe be a fool, but I am a fool that wants to get a fucking move-on, so that come New Years that fool is in Bolivia or Northern Chile, instead of Cusco, Peru with 700 other Americans, passed out in the bathroom because his violent diarrea is coupled with a wicked case of altitude sickness. So anyway, that’s Hell Week, after which I will be doing “Yes Week,” in which I will attempt to say “yes” to everything for a week, much like what Danny Wallace did for a year in his book, “Yes Man.” The only restraints on my “Yessing,” or “Sí-ing” I suppose, will be that I will not allow myself to backtrack, and I will not allow myself to say “Yes” to something that will force me into a situation in which I spend more than a certain fixed monetary amount (probably like $20; I’m hella poor). Even so, I'd say there's a decent chance I could find myeslf in some kind of unusual situation, maybe naked from the waist down riding a llama through the Andes or something similar. You get the idea.
One unfortunate thing about "Hell Week" is that internet will not be in the budget! I am quite serious about this "spending as little as possible" stuff. Anyway, wish me luck and talk to you in a week!
- Boosh Clown

Song of the Day: Walking on Broken Glass by Annie Lennox

No comments: