Monday, March 3, 2008

Motor Skills

I had a fair amount of misgivings about the "Transformers" movie when it first came out in July of last year. I found it hard to believe that a film based on human-like robots who disguised themselves by transforming into cars, planes, etc. could hold much, if any, dramatic merit. I also thought I might be a little old for a movie in which two of the main characters' names were "Optimus Prime," and "Megatron. Plus I never really played with the toys, though I probably should have: my older brother, who is very technologically astute, used to play with them all the time and later grew up to be a successful airplane pilot who flies around movie stars in a private Lear Jet, while I grew up to be a shuttle driver who drives around Audi/Volkswagen customers in a 2002 Eurovan. But anyway, I just saw the Transformers movie on an IMAX screen, and it was fucking awesome. And not even for the special effects, though those were top notch. The movie was actually pretty good. I found myself laughing out loud regularly, and the girls they chose for the two main female roles were the kind for whom you'd sell your first born son into slavery just to have a chance to kiss.
The movie, directed by Michael Bay (Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, The Rock, The Lionel Richie Collection [I'm not even fucking kidding,]) comes in at 2 hours and 20 minutes long and won 3 Oscars for achievements in sound and visual effects. It centers around two groups of robots, the "Autobots," and the "Deceptacons," who duke it out in a battle for the "All Spark," a powerful, hieroglyphic-covered cube that fell to the Earth after many years of being lost in the outer reaches of space. To find the "All Spark," they seek a teenage kid named Sam (Shia LaBeouf), whose grandfather's glasses hold a map in secret "Transformer code" that has the cube's location. Sam is aided by a moderately attractive (refer to end of first paragraph) girl named Mikaela (Megan Fox), who besides always wearing remarkably tiny jean shorts and possessing the unique ability to sweat ever-so-slightly all of the time, has a passion for fast cars and dangerous activity.
If you haven't seen the Transformers movie, I suggest doing so, and on the largest screen possible (it will be showing on the IMAX here in Victoria till late March--we have a hide-a-bed). It has everything a guy (and a surprising amount of girls) could want in a movie: well-timed one-liners, attractive women, and humans and robots alike kicking the piss out of each other with guns, missiles, and anti-aircraft weapons in a quest for world domination. It also has a cute little injured chihuahua with a cast on its front paw named "Mojo."
Which is nice.

Spring is on its way!

-Boosh Clown

Like of the Day: See above

Dislike of the Day: Unemployment

Song of the Day: "Time to Pretend" by MGMT

P.S. I am seriously going to post two blogs one of these days. I'm waiting to get back an interview I emailed someone...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i don't know about that robo movie...but MGMT is the real deal!

Samuel said...

I saw Transformers on a flight a couple months ago. I knew it was going to be good when the guy sitting next to me flipped open his Continental Airlines magazine and exclaimed, "Fuck yeah! Wait till you see this chick."