Monday, April 14, 2008

The Passion of the Boosh Clown

Lately, between light carpentry, stretching my achilles, and making hot Italian sausage paninis for disgruntled customers, I have stolen away to think long and hard about what in the hell I am going to do with my life this summer (see poll at left; bt dub thanks for the feeback! You guys are tremendous). At first I thought I would work in Seattle at another dead-end job: an on board attendant aboard the Victoria Clipper (see: hating myself) or once again driving the University Volkswagen/Audi shuttle (see: hating myself, hating others).

But now I have a better idea: I'm going to take a bike ride.

Yes, ladies and boyz, the vacation that is Boosh Clown's life will finally be reborn. Things have gotten too stressful here in Victoria: low wages, unappreciative customers, having to wake up at 9am some mornings--I'm fed up, damnit.
In late May, just after Memorial Day, I will embark on a 900 or so mile bike ride from my grandma's house in New Bremen, Ohio, to a sleepy little industrial hamlet located in the Canadian Province of Quebec called Trois Rivieres (just between Montreal and Quebec City). I will have approximately 15 days to complete this endeavor, which means I will have to average about 60 miles a day.
Amongst other obstacles (see: mild obesity), this trip, though still in its fledgling stages, is turning out to be a logistics nightmare (see: I'm broke). I must buy everything for the trip--bike, helmet, shoes, lycra shorts, sweet short-sleeved American flag bicycle jersey--due to the fact that I currently own nothing. Also, as I am not the most avid of bikers, I will have a shit-load of training to do, compounded by the fact that God has blessed me with an achilles tendon He got at Value Village.

Another important factor is that I will be doing this trip alone, something I already know is going to cause my parents a considerable amount of disquiet. While this is not a completely invalid concern (I'm sure there are a number of people [probably named "Bubba," or "Earl"] in rural Ohio and Ontario that drink gross amounts of Jack Daniels, recklessly drive Ford F150's, and think cycling is for "queers") I cannot and will not allow a lack of faith in humanity to keep me from doing this trip.
So that, my friends, is the rudimentary plan. I will be cycling from Ohio to Quebec, meeting up with my girlfriend, and then heading down to New York and Boston for an East Coast extravaganza. Afterwards, my girlfriend and I will say our tearful goodbyes, whereupon I shall head to a little town called Cambridge, MA, and install myself at a fairly well-known university called "Harvard," where I will spend the next four years of my life voraciously studying to obtain a law degree and subsequently one of the most feared litigators on the Easter seaboard. Then, at the age of 42, a minor nervous breakdown will culminate in me having to pack up my Earthly possessions and move to Zimbabwe, where I will then pursue a career as a full-time elephant hunter. At the age of 75 I will be reunited with my girlfriend whilst vacationing in Botswana, who will at the time be working part-time for an organization aimed at keeping peace between the Bangwato and Bakweng tribes through a radical technique that involves learning how to successfully muzzle and ride hippopotamuses. "Hippos for Peace," they will aptly be called. At the age of 116 I will finally die, but not before waking up from a 41 year coma brought on by an accident involving a leisurely ride-turned-catastrophe of one of the aforementioned hippos.

I'm sorry, I got distracted.

Anyway, I do plan on seeing this trip through to fruition. Below is a map of the approximate route I be plan to take, though in my case I will skirt Detroit (I've never been too fond of homicide) by taking a ferry across Lake Eerie from Sandusky, Ohio, into Ontario.

Good day, gentleman. And until that day comes, keep your ear to the grindstone.

-Boosh Clown

Special shout-out to friend and former roommate Tam, who recently biked across the United States, something far more ambitious than what I plan to undertake. To read about his trip, click here.

The Route:

View Larger Map

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You could always spend your summer in Utah studying the fascinating inhabitants of this amazing place....

Mark Thomas Wetzler said...

you must be facebooking as we speak. go on messenger or something so we can chat

Anonymous said...

Holy hell.

This is some heavy shit Boosh. What will become of the blog? Do they have internet in the midwest?

And would you consider being my life coach?