Friday, July 11, 2008

Deeper than the Darkest Sea

Today is, ostensibly, a day of soul-searching for Boosh Clown. I am going to go to the beach and think long and hard about what the hell I am doing with my life. I am going to moan about my achilles tendonitis and the current state of my thumbs (possibly more tendonitis) and think about how I am going to get healthy. I am going to look deep inside Boosh Clown's heart and really find what makes him tick. Really get, in the proverbial words of Gwen Stefani, "underneath it all."

And I am going to do some back flips.

You see, my friends, we are all at pivotal points in our lives right now. These are "the years." These are the years, supposedly, where you figure out what you are going to do for the rest of your life. Some of you think you have it figured out. Some of you DO have it figured out. But a lot of you don't. A lot of you are like me, bussing tables at Ivar's, living day to day, trying to stretch the paycheck so that you can buy new diapers and have a little extra so you can pay a babysitter and go out with your friends. Where's the love, you wonder? When am I going to get a break? I can't live like this for the rest of my life. So you go to the corner store and buy a 40 of Olde English 800 to try to drown your troubles, but you realize that the alcohol only intensifies them, that the relief is fleeting and when you get sober again your troubles haven't been drowned but rather grown moldier and mustier from being doused in liquid.

Anyway, I guess in today's blog I just want to say to you all that I hope you know what you're doing. I hope you are finding a path that suits you, and I hope that your reason for following that path has nothing (or very little) to do with money and fame and glory. I hope that you enjoy what you do, because if you enjoy what you do, and enjoy the people around you, you have found true happiness. I know that one day I will find this path, I just have a feeling I will have to hack my way through some blackberry bushes first. I think the most important thing to remind myself, though, and maybe you will find this true, too, is not to lose yourself in frustration when hacking through the blackberries that enshroud the path on the other side. You have to learn how to enjoy this hacking process. That is the whole secret. If you can enjoy the hacking process, you will find that the blackberries get a lot less thick. They will almost part and disappear before your very eyes. And at some point you will stop hacking, pause for a moment, and notice the beautiful fruit before you. And you will take a bite. And it will be oh, so sweet.

And then you will keep hacking, but this time with juice dripping from your chin.

-Boosh Clown

No comments: